This assignment provides an opportunity for you to apply what you have learned in this course to prepare a professional PowerPoint presentation, such as one you might present to coworkers when discussing discrimination.
Select ONE of the options below as the subject for your final project. Do your research, and then develop a PowerPoint presentation to demonstrate your understanding of the topic. Use the slide notes function to explain slide contents as necessary.
Your presentation must include at least the information presented under each heading. It must consist of a minimum of 20 PowerPoint slides, excluding the title and reference slides. Use proper APA formatting when citing sources, including your textbook. (Remember that unmonitored Internet sources, such as Wikipedia, are not acceptable.)
Option 1: Disability Discrimination
1. Discuss a minimum of five benefits of organizational diversity. 2. Identify at least three factors that have led to increased emphasis on disability discrimination in the workplace. 3. What are three benefits of diversity in the workplace? 4. Discuss statistical data on education, participation rates, employment, and income levels of individuals with disabilities. 5. Provide a historical background of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1963. Compare and contrast these two pieces of legislation. 6. Find two lawsuits against companies in the United States that relate to disability discrimination, and discuss their basis and their results. Do you agree with the results? 7. Why does disability discrimination persist despite legislation and other efforts to eliminate it? 8. Explain the role of stereotyping and prejudice in perpetuating in-group favoritism and out-group bias. 9. Identify three ways in which employers can make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. 10. If you had to argue for including obesity as a disability, what information would you use to support your argument, and what piece(s) of legislation would be most helpful in supporting your stance? Why?
Option 2: Religious Discrimination
1. Discuss a minimum of five benefits of organizational diversity. 2. Explain at least two reasons for the increased emphasis on religious discrimination in the United States. Why is religious diversity so important for the U.S.? 3. Conduct research to determine how many different religions exist in the world.
BSL 4000, Managing Diversity in Organizations 4
4. Research three religious groups in the United States, and explain why these groups continue to be victims of prejudice and discrimination. 5. Identify and describe Title VII of the Civil Rights Act as it pertains to religious discrimination. 6. Discuss two cases related to religious discrimination in the United States. Provide a minimum of two reasons for the persistence of religious discrimination. 7. Describe at least two ways in which religious discrimination can lead to in-group favoritism and out-group bias. 8. Should employers provide reasonable accommodations for religious practices? Why, or why not? Please substantiate your response with legal and moral reasons. 9. Discuss at least three ways in which employers can accommodate religious practices of employees and applicants. 10. Provide a minimum of three recommendations to improve organizational cultures for religious diversity.
Option 3: Gender and Sexual Preference Discrimination
1. Discuss at least five benefits of organizational diversity. 2. Provide a minimum of two reasons for the increased number of women in the workplace in the United States. How would employer-provided child and elder care impact this segment of the work force? 3. Explain the historical background of gender discrimination in the United States. 4. Provide employment data, educational attainment, and income levels for women and sexual minorities in the workplace. 5. Describe the basic purpose of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. 6. Define sexual orientation. Should sexual orientation be protected under federal legislation? Please justify your response. 7. Although sexual orientation is not protected by federal legislation, is it acceptable to discriminate against sexual minorities because of their preferences? 8. Define sex discrimination, and provide at least one example. 9. Define the two types of sexual harassment and provide an example of each. 10. Discuss case details for two lawsuits: one involving sex discrimination in the United States and one involving sexual harassment in the United States. 11. Provide at least two reasons for the pervasiveness of sex discrimination in the workplace. 12. Provide a minimum of three recommendations to improve organizational cultures for gender equity and sexual minorities.
Option 4: Racial Discrimination
1. Discuss a minimum of five benefits of organizational diversity. 2. How have changes in the racial makeup of the U.S. population impacted racial discrimination? 3. Explain the historical background of race in America and the concept of “White privilege.” 4. Discuss affirmative action and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act as it relates to race in America. What are the major components of each piece of legislation? 5. Compare and contrast two racial groups in America on the basis of employment, education, and income levels. 6. Provide case information on a minimum of two lawsuits related to race discrimination in the United States. 7. Discuss a minimum of three reasons for the persistence of racial discrimination in America. 8. Explain how racial discrimination can lead to in-group favoritism and out-group bias in the workplace. 9. Provide a minimum of three recommendations to improve organizational cultures for racial equality.
Option 5: Age Discrimination
1. Discuss a minimum of five benefits of organizational diversity. 2. Explain recent and projected changes in the demographic makeup of the U.S. population as they relate to age discrimination. 3. Why has age become such a major topic in the American workforce? 4. Define and discuss the major components of the Age in Discrimination Employment Act. 5. Provide employment, education, and income levels of workers over the age of 40 in the United States. 6. Provide case information on a minimum of two lawsuits related to age discrimination in the United States. 7. Define ageism and discuss misconceptions about the performance and abilities of older and younger workers. 8. Discuss methods that can be used to improve organizational culture for the aging workforce.