Read through the following questions and answer two of them in your journal. Your answers should be complete, and must be written in standard, grammatically correct English.
1. Define social stratification and explain why it is of sociological significance. Is it possible to create a society without stratification? Why or why not?
2. Define slavery, list and discuss its causes, discuss the conditions of slavery that have varied around the world. and discuss slavery today. What role, if any, do you think the United States should play in ending slavery internationally today?
3. Define caste systems and endogamy, and discuss whether any characteristics of caste can be seen in U.S. society.
4. Karl Marx explored social class, emphasizing the importance of means of production. Explain his theory, and define bourgeoisie, proletariat, class consciousness and false class consciousness. Apply his theory to an analysis of U.S. society today.
5. List and define the three components of social class, according to Max Weber. Apply his theory to an analysis of U.S. society today.
6. Summarize Davis and Moore’s theory of social stratification. Summarize Tumin’s critique of Davis and Moore, and define meritocracy. Which theory do you believe explains U.S. society today best? Why?
7. Define and describe the three “worlds” of development discussed in the text, listing at least four examples of societies in each category.