According to Beeghley (2008), the poor in America serve an important role in society. He claims that the poor provide services by working in jobs no one else wants, keep prices down, create jobs for other social classes, and buy goods and services no one else desires.
Using the module readings, online library resources, and the Internet, research the need to eliminate poverty in America. Then answer the following:
- Can poverty be eliminated from America?
- What ideas do you have that could help the working poor improve their opportunities?
Write your initial response in approximately 200–300 words. Apply APA standards to the citation of sources.
Due date JULY 14 post your response to the Discussion Area. Through the end of the module, review the postings of your peers and respond to at least two of them. Consider commenting on the following:
- What are the different solutions to help the working poor?
- How practical are these proposed solutions?
- Ideas that have worked in your own town to improve the condition of the working poor.
Beeghley, L. (2008). The structure of social stratification in the United States. Boston, MA: Pearson.