Like the study of conflict and conflict resolution, the study of peace includes many terms that may seem similar although they have many differences. The title of your text includes the word peacebuilding. As you examine the concept of peace, you also see references to and examples of peacemaking. Both have their place within the field of peace. In this Discussion, you discover their similarities and differences and why each is important.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 1 in your course text, The Little Book of Strategic Peacebuilding. Pay particular attention to the overview of the field of peacebuilding.
- Review Chapter 2 in your course text, The Little Book of Strategic Peacebuilding. Focus on the section titled, “Peacebuilding is not…”
- Review the online article, “Peacemaking,” and note how the term is used.
- Review the book excerpt, “Introduction to Peace Psychology.” Pay attention to the distinctions between peacemaking and peacebuilding.
- Think of an example of peacemaking and why it would be considered an example of peacemaking.
- Consider an example of peacebuilding and think about why it is an example of peacebuilding.
- Think about what is similar between peacemaking and peacebuilding and what is unique to each.
With these thoughts in mind:
By Day 4
Post a brief description of your example of peacemaking. Explain why it is an example of peacemaking. Post a brief description of your example of peacebuilding. Explain why it is an example of peacebuilding. Finally, do a brief comparison (similarities and differences) between peacemaking and peacebuilding. Be specific.