1. Make a scheme to describe the municipal wastewater treatment systems? Add the removal BOD and solids rates for each treatment.
2. You have been asked to evaluate the ability of a horizontal –flow gravity grit chamber to remove a 0.015 cm diameter particle under winter and summer conditions. The particle density is 1.83 g/cm3 . The winter wastewater is 12 ºC. The summer wastewater temperature is 25 ºC. The depth of the grit chamber is 1.0 m. The detention time of the wastewater in the grit chamber is 60 s.
3. The town of Camp Verde has been directed to upgrade its primary WWTP to a secondary plant that can meet an effluent standard of 25 mg/L BOD5 and 42 mg/L suspended solids. They have selected a completely mixed activated sludge system for the upgrade. The existing primary treatment has a BOD5 of 240 mg/L. Using the following assumptions, estimate the required volume of the aeration tank a. BOD5 of the effluent suspended solids is 50% of the allowable suspendedsolids concentration b. Growth constants values are estimated to be: Ks = 100 mg/L BOD5 , Kd = 0.025/d, µm = 10/day, Y= 0.8 mgVSS/mg BOD5 removed c. The design MLVSS is 3,000 mg/L
4. Mention three differences between ground and surface water
5. Draw the diagrams for surface water treatment and groundwater treatment. What are the two main differences between each treatment?