The Strategic Plan must include the following elements:
a. Name of Company
b. Executive Summary: Provide a succinct overview of your strategic plan.
c. Vision Statement
i. Outline the vision of your organization. Craft a statement that is understood and
shared by members of the organization, broad enough to include a diverse variety of
perspectives, inspiring and uplifting, and easy to communicate.
d. Mission Statement
i. While your vision statement inspires people to dream, your mission statement should
inspire them to action. Make it concise, outcome-oriented, and inclusive.
i. Describe the primary business of your organization.
f. Team Members
i. Who are your organization’s core team members? (Organizational Chart)
g. External Environment Analysis
i. General Environment
1. economic and global factors that affect your firm’s strategy.
ii. Industry Environment
1. Industry Analysis includes analysis of your organization’s industry, competitors,
marketing strategy, and target customers.
2. Analyze competitors (existing or potential), customers (or buyers), and suppliers
(including those considering forward integration) using:
a. Use Porter’s Five-Forces Model of Industry Competition
b. Use The Value Net
iii. Opportunity Analysis
1. List your organization’s biggest opportunities.
iv. Threat Analysis
1. List your organization’s biggest threats
h. Internal Environment Analysis
i. Analyze your firm’s internal environment
1. Use the Value-Chain Analysis
2. Use the Balanced Scorecard Analysis
ii. Strengths: Analysis
1. List your organization’s greatest strengths
iii. Weakness Analysis
1. List your organization’s greatest weaknesses
i. Strategic Goals and Objectives
i. Objectives are the specific, measurable steps that will help you achieve
your mission. Develop objectives that are SMART: specific, measurable,
achievable (eventually), relevant to your mission, and timed (with a date for
The strategy must be decisions made by your firms regarding
investments, commitments of resources, and other aspects of operations that will
create and sustain competitive advantage. Involves questions about what businesses
to compete in, and how to manage these businesses in order to achieve synergy –
how they can create more value by working together than by operating as stand-alone
businesses. Strategies must explain how your organization will reach its objectives.
i. Corporate-Level Strategy
1. Addresses your firm’s portfolio (or group) of businesses. What business(es)
should you compete in? Your organization may diversify into related or
unrelated businesses. How can you manage this portfolio of businesses to
ii. Business-Level Strategy
1. These are the bases for sustainable competitive advantage through:
Cost leadership and/or Differentiation, as well as Focusing on a narrow
or industry wide market segment. i.e. How to overcome the five forces
and achieve competitive advantage?
iii. International Strategy
1. What is the appropriate entry strategy for your organization? How will you go
about attaining competitive advantage in international markets?
iv. Entrepreneurial Strategy
1. What is your firm’s strategy to create value which will threaten
existing competitors and change the competitive dynamics of the
marketplace? How will you enter the market? How will you compete? How will
you deal with the competitors’ reaction?
k. Implementation/Action Plan
Your action plan should specify in detail who will do what, by when, to make what changes happen.
It may also note the resources needed, potential barriers or resistance, and
collaborators or communication lines that need to be active.
- Ensures proper strategic control systems
- Establishes an appropriate organizational design – coordinates & integrates activities within the firm.
- Coordinates activities with suppliers, customers, and alliance partners
- How the leadership team will ensure organizational commitment to excellence & ethical behavior?
l. Reference Slide: Conclude your presentation with a reference slide in APA format.
- Use several pictures throughout your presentation.
- Make sure to include at least one picture or graphic per section. A power point presentation looks dull with few pictures and a lot of text.
- Put the heading of each category on or before the slides in that group, so I know what category each slide is in.
- Please follow the order that is listed above. Make sure your slides stay in order.