The 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) was implemented primarily to provide access to health insurance for those who would not otherwise be insured. The ACA is not designed as a single-payer healthcare system although some of its architects as well as its detractors see the ACA as steering the United States toward one.
Research the single-payer approach to healthcare delivery using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet.
In a 2-3-page paper, address the following:
- Define a single-payer system and identify a country where it is used.
- Using demonstrated research findings, describe the strengths and weaknesses of a single-payer healthcare system.
- Based on your current situation in terms of healthcare coverage (insured by an employer, covered under a parent’s or spouse’s policy, receiving government benefits, uninsured, etc.), explain how a single-payer plan would affect how you receive healthcare. Do you favor a single-payer approach? Why, or why not?
- If you were to design a single-payer system, explain how you would address the challenges.
Write a 2-3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.doc.
By the due date assigned, deliver your assignment to the Submissions Area.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
- Defined a single-payer system and identified a country where it is used.
- Used research findings to describe the strengths and weaknesses of a single-payer healthcare system.
- Explained how a single-payer plan would affect how you receive healthcare and explained why or why not you are in favor of a single-payer approach.
- Explained how to address the challenges of a single-payer system if you were to design one
- Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.